Bear's Anecdote - A friend of mine from Huntsville, Alabama (Tim P. - It isn't good to give full names on the internet.) gave me a great stack of recipes. Here is one of them.
- 1 c. flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tblsp. liquor (I wonder what kind? Grand Mariner (orange)?)
- 8 oz. chopped dates
- 2 oz. chopped candied lemon peel
- 2 oz. chopped candied orange peel
- 2 oz. chopped candied red cherries
- 2 oz. chopped candied green cherries
- 4 oz. chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 c. chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans, walnuts, black walnuts
That is where the recipe ended. We have to guess. What fun!!
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add egg and liquor to butter/sugar mix.
- Add flour mix to batter.
- Add nuts and candied stuff, and mix together.
- Drop onto greased pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Immediately remove cookies to towel to cool.