Bear's Anecdote - A friend of mine from Huntsville, Alabama (Tim P. - It isn't good to give full names on the internet.) gave me a great stack of recipes. Here is one of them.
- 1/2 c. "Martha White" corn meal (Guess where this recipe came from!)
- 1/2 c. "Martha White" white grits
- 1-1/2 c. boiling water
- 1 tblsp. butter or margarine
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 1 tblsp. sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, Pour boiling water over corn meal and grits.
- Stir to keep from lumping until cooled slightly.
- Add butter and egg yolks, and stir in buttermilk, soda and sugar.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour in greased casserole dish.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes.
Spoon bread may be served at any meal. It can take the place of bread or a starchy vegetable. Serve from casserole dish with a spoon.
Makes 6 servings.
Cheese Spoon Bread Variation
Follow the above recipe for Spoon Bread. Fold in 3/4 c. grated sharp cheese after adding egg yolks. Use a 2 quart casserole. Serves 6 to 8.